Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Hot Weather, Cool Food

I had the best summer supper the other night! The temps that day were well over 100 degrees, and this just hit the spot. I had a green salad that was green leaf lettuce and romaine, the MOST wonderful dressing (Brianna's Homestyle Asiago Caesar dressing, that my friend Jana Raye got me hooked on), real bacon bits, shredded parm cheese, and croutons. With that I had creamy dill potato salad & chicken salad. I don't really have a recipe for either of these, some have asked, but I will tell you how I make them.
First the potato salad. I dice up potatoes, and just do as much as I think we will eat. It keeps well in the fridge for several days however if you want to make a lot. Boil them in water until tender. Drain them, and if you're going to eat right away, rinse in cold water for several minutes. Put them in a bowl, and I do equal parts of mayonnaise and sour cream. I add dill (fresh or dried) to taste, start with 1/2 tsp. And also salt. I do about 1/4 cup real bacon bits you buy in the package. That's it! It is so simple but so yummy.
For the chicken salad, I baked 4 good-sized chicken breasts seasoned with poultry seasoning and garlic salt. I baked them for about 45 minutes on 300 degrees, or until cooked through. I let them cool for a while sitting in the juices to keep them from drying out. When they were cool enough to handle, I diced them up, trimming and discarding any fat. In a bowl, I mixed the diced chicken, mayonnaise, dried cranberries, and pecan pieces. I used a small package of each of those, probably about 1/2 cup each. Mix it up and eat it like I did with a green salad or it's wonderful on a croissant!

No comments:

Post a Comment